Studying in Canada can lead to various pathways to attain Permanent Residency after completion of your Canadian Studies. We encourage the foreign students applying to Canada to understand their pathway to Permanent Residency if they are considering becoming Permanents Resident of Canada in the future prior to applying to any educational institutions. It is important to plan your studies according to your future career as well as immigration goals, failing to plan accordingly will lead to additional costs, timelines and needless stress.



You must have been accepted by a designated learning institution in Canada.

You must prove that you have enough money to pay for your: tuition fees, living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and, return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada.

You must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. You may have to provide a police certificate.

You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.

You must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay.

Members of foreign armed forces

If you are a member of a foreign armed force under the Visiting Forces Act, you do not need a permit to study in Canada. If your family members, including minor children, want to study in Canada, they must meet the requirements.

Foreign nationals who are Registered Indians in Canada

If you are a citizen of another country who has Registered Indian status in Canada, you do not need a permit to study in Canada.


In some cases, you do not require a study permit to go to school in Canada.

If you wish to study in a short-term course or program

You do not need a study permit if you plan to take a course or program in Canada that lasts six months or less. You must complete the course or program within the period authorized for your stay in Canada.

Foreign representatives to Canada

If you are a family member or staff member of a foreign representative to Canada accredited by Global Affairs Canada (GAC), you may not need a permit to study in Canada. You should contact your embassy in Canada. Your embassy can contact the Office of Protocol at GAC to find out whether you need a study permit.